Myriador Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 Myriador
 Future Releases
 POLL: What would you like to see converted?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic

Eternalknight

Australia
117 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  14:45:58  Show Profile  Visit Eternalknight's Homepage  Send Eternalknight an AOL message  Send Eternalknight an ICQ Message  Click to see Eternalknight's MSN Messenger address  Send Eternalknight a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If you could choose just one book to be done, what book would that be?

My choice:

Night Dragon

Rabel

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  16:39:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, its a hard question but, on reflection, I would painfully overule Deathtrap Dungeon and Trial of Champions in favour of:

Beneath Nightmare Castle

just because it would make a really evil d20 adventure that I could torture my players with.
Go to Top of Page

Yaztromo

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  06:55:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to follow my dungeon crawling soul and go fdor the obvious:

Deathtrap Dungeon.

Witty phrase pending.
Go to Top of Page

Shelka the Bold

Australia
6 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  08:12:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Island of the Lizard King I know it's not the best FF book ever, but it was the first one I ever bought with my own money (I raided my piggy bank when I was about 10 and paid for it with 5c pieces )
Go to Top of Page

nyarlathotep

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  12:58:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would have to be Forest of Doom for me, I bought it at a book fair from my school when I was 10, it was such a revelation to me that reading could be interactive, and my first step towards roleplaying. Now 20years later I'm teaching my 10years-old son how to roleplay and along come the D20 FF conversions - Fate smiles down
Go to Top of Page

Eryx

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2003 :  17:39:22  Show Profile  Visit Eryx's Homepage  Click to see Eryx's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It would be a difficult choice between Forest of Doom, Deathtrap Dungeon or Island of the Lizard King.

Personally, I'd probably go with Island of the Lizard King.

Go to Top of Page

Yokiboy

1 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2003 :  09:55:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely Deathtrap Dungeon! I've converted this adventure myself to so many different RPGs that I would love to see what Myriador could come up with.

The trick with converting FF books to d20 is setting the party level. Doing Deathtrap Dungeon for 1st level characters will be next to impossible, I'm curious to see what they might come up with. I'd recommend a solution where you include scalable encounters, and perhaps as many as 3 versions of each character/creature/monster so the adventure can easily be fitted into any campaign.

Another trick to doing Deathtrap Dungeon correctly is do you go solo or party adventure? Doing it as a party adventure, then you must change the entire premiss of the adventure, but as a solo (meaning DM vs Player here) it's audience level will be much different.

If it were meant to be run by a DM with just 1 player, or at least 1 player entering the dungeon at a time, the adventure might not be incorporated into campaign play, but rather played as a one-off adventure. This would certainly not be anything bad, and might actually make the adventure more marketable as almost anyone could run it as long as at least 2 friend get together.

Anyhoo... enough of my ramblings.

Deathtrap Dungeon still gets my vote!

TTFN,

Yokiboy
Go to Top of Page

Eryx

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2003 :  14:37:25  Show Profile  Visit Eryx's Homepage  Click to see Eryx's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I agree that the scaling of these is going to be difficult. If I could throw my opinion in, I'd like to see these modules done for different levels and for parties as opposed to one player/one DM.

Go to Top of Page

Guillermo

Mexico
1 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2003 :  23:06:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deathtrap Dungeon was originally planned as a competitive adventure between individuals (every hero looks for him/herself, there is almost no group play and what little there is is only temporary). How is Myriador going to get around this and convert it for a group adventure? Keeping track of six different players all going their own way would be impossible for the best Dungeon Masters.
Go to Top of Page

Eternalknight

Australia
117 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2003 :  09:59:16  Show Profile  Visit Eternalknight's Homepage  Send Eternalknight an AOL message  Send Eternalknight an ICQ Message  Click to see Eternalknight's MSN Messenger address  Send Eternalknight a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It's pretty easy to actually scale for different numbers of adventurers. If, for instance, a module was written for 4 4th level characters, then by using the Encounter Level tables in the DMG you could scale this quite easily. In the example module, it would be appropriate for a single 8th level character.
Go to Top of Page

Yaztromo

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2003 :  15:32:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One easy way could be to change the contest to account for groups rather than single adventurers. They have to split the prize, and of course there will be NPC parties knocking about in the Dungeon.

Witty phrase pending.
Go to Top of Page

arena96

Germany
1 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2003 :  21:39:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I absolutely love "House of Hell". That would be a great choice and would make a nice change to the usual setting.

As to fantasy, "Citadel of Chaos" would be my favourite.
Go to Top of Page

Dragón de Piedra

Spain
2 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2003 :  12:48:41  Show Profile  Visit Dragón de Piedra's Homepage  Click to see Dragón de Piedra's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi, everyone

This is a very difficult question, since F&F is a gamebook series so full of good works and classics. However, if I had to choose, I would say Sorcery! (I´m glad Myriador is planning to adapt it to d20 soon). It is true that Deathtrap Dungeon, City of Thieves, Forest of Doom, Nightdragon, Midnight Rogue, Beneath Nightmare Castle... are all excellent titles, but no gamebook has thrilled me, inspired me and connected with my imagination as the Sorcery! tetralogy, with its original puzzles, interesting story-line and fabulous ending -and cool illustrations by Blanche.

But, really, I hope that choosing will not be necessary and we will be able to enjoy ALL our favourite gamebooks adapted by Myriador, and of course, the Titan sourcebooks.

Keep up gaming!
Go to Top of Page

metaldredd

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2003 :  23:37:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
house of hell would fit in any ravenloft/horror campaign and its the one of the best books i ever did.
Go to Top of Page

Allansian Wanderer

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2003 :  21:06:31  Show Profile  Visit Allansian Wanderer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
City of Thieves would make an excellent party adventure, but could probably wait until after a Port Blacksand or Allansia sourcebook has been written (hint!).

Deathtrap Dungeon would make an intersting party adventure, if difficult to write and of course, no need to explain some of the weak linking between parts that can occur in FF books (the dreaded "how do the dwarves in this room get food when the only room leading in has a minotaur in it?" questions you get from players). It would of course make an excellent solo campaign.

Forest of Doom would make a great multi-player adventure.

Regards,

Jim
Go to Top of Page

jamie

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  16:29:41  Show Profile  Visit jamie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eternalknight

If you could choose just one book to be done, what book would that be?

My choice:

Night Dragon

Tony Hough who did the artwork for Night Dragon is doing some of the internal Illustrations for our d20 conversion of DEATHTRAP DUNGEON.

Have a look at some of Tony's artwork at: http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/tonyhough2000

Jamie Wallis
Author
Myriador LTD

Edited by - jamie on 06 Jun 2003 16:34:28
Go to Top of Page
Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Myriador Forums © 2002 Myriador Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000