Password:
Save Password
?All Forums
?Myriador
?Future Releases
?Other Conversions
?New Topic ?Reply to Topic
?Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic?Topic?Next Topic ?

gezjenk

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted?-?04 May 2003?:? 22:09:15 ?Show Profile ?Reply with Quote
When you have done all of the FF conversions (I'm hoping that you do) do you at Myriador have your eye on converting any of the other gamebook series like Grail Quest or Lone Wolf (Hint Hint)?
Which would everyone else like to see?

Eryx

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted?-?04 May 2003?:? 22:17:36 ?Show Profile ?Visit Eryx's Homepage ?Click to see Eryx's MSN Messenger address ?Reply with Quote
Another company (I forget who) has already got the rights to do the Lone Wolf world as a campaign setting, so they will probably do something similar.

Go to Top of Page

Rabel

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted?-?04 May 2003?:? 23:07:41 ?Show Profile ?Reply with Quote
Mongoose Publishing (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com) have got the rights to Lone Wolf and are planning a release of the d20 conversion later this year I think.
Its a campaign sourcebook rather than module conversions of the gamebooks and apparently its going to be set about 50 years before the destruction of the Kai Monastery.
Go to Top of Page

Eternalknight

Australia
117 Posts

Posted?-?05 May 2003?:? 09:32:02 ?Show Profile ?Visit Eternalknight's Homepage ?Send Eternalknight an AOL message ?Send Eternalknight an ICQ Message ?Click to see Eternalknight's MSN Messenger address ?Send Eternalknight a Yahoo! Message ?Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rabel

Mongoose Publishing (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com) have got the rights to Lone Wolf and are planning a release of the d20 conversion later this year I think.
Its a campaign sourcebook rather than module conversions of the gamebooks and apparently its going to be set about 50 years before the destruction of the Kai Monastery.

All correct. Mongoose will also be re-releasing the Lone Wolf gamebooks (in PDF I believe) with the new rules as well. At least, they were.. not sure if this is still the plan or not.
Go to Top of Page

Yaztromo

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted?-?08 May 2003?:? 16:24:55 ?Show Profile ?Reply with Quote
Grailquest D20? That would be amazing- beyond FF in my opinion..I love those crazy books. Especially the Poetic Fiend..threw him into a Ravenloft game once, only to have an entire party of Vampire slaying hardened champions of light run screaming from his crypt. Heh.

Witty phrase pending.
Go to Top of Page

Rabel

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted?-?09 May 2003?:? 11:28:54 ?Show Profile ?Reply with Quote
Did any of you also get the Dragon Warriors series? They were an RPG in their own right, rather than gamebooks, but I've only just discovered that there was a series called Blood Sword which was set in Legend, the Dragon Warriors world.
Would be another conversion opportunity. I wonder what Dave Morris and Oliver Johnson are up to nowadays, not to mention Jamie Thompson and Mark Smith. I think the ultimate 'simply must have' conversion for me would be Orb. The gods alone made that world fantastic.

Does anyone know what Joe Dever is up to as well?
Go to Top of Page

Eternalknight

Australia
117 Posts

Posted?-?10 May 2003?:? 08:37:30 ?Show Profile ?Visit Eternalknight's Homepage ?Send Eternalknight an AOL message ?Send Eternalknight an ICQ Message ?Click to see Eternalknight's MSN Messenger address ?Send Eternalknight a Yahoo! Message ?Reply with Quote
Joe Dever is somewhat involved in the Lone Wolf RPG. Other than that I have no idea.

I do know that many gamebook authors started working in the computer games industry.
Go to Top of Page

Balgin

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted?-?16 Dec 2004?:? 06:13:57 ?Show Profile ?Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rabel

Is that so? The world gets better by the day :).

quote:
Did any of you also get the Dragon Warriors series? They were an RPG in their own right, rather than gamebooks, but I've only just discovered that there was a series called Blood Sword which was set in Legend, the Dragon Warriors world.
Would be another conversion opportunity. I wonder what Dave Morris and Oliver Johnson are up to nowadays, not to mention Jamie Thompson and Mark Smith. I think the ultimate 'simply must have' conversion for me would be Orb. The gods alone made that world fantastic.

Orb would be great. Mind you the world of Orb encompasses the The Way of the Tiger series, some Fighting Fantasy books, the Duelmaster series of paired gamebooks (one book had all the odd numbers for player one, the other the even numbers for player two and they faced off against each other). The golden dragon sextet was good as well (another 5 from Dave Morris and Oliver Johnson), in fact they were really good. I wouldn't rate the craziness of the Grail Quest books very highly myself though, a matter of taste, that's all.

I only ever got one of the Blood Sword books but I converted all the Out of the Pit creatures over to the Bloodsword system, it was fairly easy to do once you realised that all the monsters in the BloodSword adventure had default characteristics for a character of a certain level. Just had to pick a level and class for the monster to emulate (as simple as double it's skill in most cases) then adding in special features. I even started an empire type game based on Blood sword with mates moving units around maps. It was interesting for a while.

The best thing about Blood Sword is that it was blatantly earth. I don't just mean the maps or the cultures encountered. What I mean is the nice little references like the Arabian country being called Outremer (which is what the crusaders called it) or the northen wastes being called Thule (what the greeks and romans called northen europe, aparently it's ancient greek for "the place where it's so cold that you turn round and go back.")

Edited by - Balgin on 16 Dec 2004 06:21:21
Go to Top of Page

Eternalknight

Australia
117 Posts

Posted?-?16 Dec 2004?:? 21:19:43 ?Show Profile ?Visit Eternalknight's Homepage ?Send Eternalknight an AOL message ?Send Eternalknight an ICQ Message ?Click to see Eternalknight's MSN Messenger address ?Send Eternalknight a Yahoo! Message ?Reply with Quote
Balgin: The Lone Wolf RPG has been out now for about 6 months. If you are a lone Wolf fan, you will like it :)

There are actually three books for Lone Wolf out now: The RPG, The Darklands, and Magic of Magnamund.

My homepage: http://members.dodo.com.au/~eternalknightadsl
Go to Top of Page

Balgin

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted?-?19 Dec 2004?:? 20:40:37 ?Show Profile ?Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eternalknight

Balgin: The Lone Wolf RPG has been out now for about 6 months. If you are a lone Wolf fan, you will like it :)

There are actually three books for Lone Wolf out now: The RPG, The Darklands, and Magic of Magnamund.

My homepage: http://members.dodo.com.au/~eternalknightadsl

Yeah but it IS Mongoose so that means silly big number madness so it will need some adjusting. At least they've done all the donkey work converting over creatures and stuff so that I can modify things instead of starting from scratch.

Anyway, back on topic, I remember someone somewhere posting a long list of questions and dubious points about the often mentioned House of Hell.

One of them was that when the player is invited into the house and fed drugged food only some of it is drugged and some is not. They asked why don't the cultists drug all of it? The answer is simple and yet complex. They are a secret society.

Now by that I don't mean so secret they don't know who each other are, I do mean that they are a secret organisation. The player could be anyone, maybe even a high ranking member from another branch of their order come over to examine them. The doped food obviously has significance that cult members would know about and understand the complicated (or simple) reasons for certain things being unlucky for strangers.

If the player choses the food that is drugged then he's an outsider and deserves whatever's coming to him next. If he should happen to chose the normal food then there are a number of things for the cult to consider. Firstly he could be a cult member from another branch and whilst they know their local group (even with the robes and amsks and stuff) not every member knows who everyone else is. In fact each member probably "unofficialy" knows who some of the local cult members are but they are all polite enough not to talk about it to each other outside their public meetings and "some things are best left unknown". Alternatively it could seem that since the player has chosen the normal food then perhaps on a subconscious level he is in tune with the ways of the cult and is a potential subject for initiation. If the cult believes this then they would probably need to do this in some specific way. Then again he could just be lucky.

The cultists don't know, the whole secret identity masked meeting thing indicates that they are a secretive bunch. Whatever they believe about the player they wouldn't let him know. They'd observe him to see if his behaviour fits anything they might suspect. And even once they think they know something they won't try to confirm it unless they are proven wrong (and shown to be so). They'd wait for the player to announce the reasons for his presence (and that doesn't mean him telling them, it means his actions making it clear etc).

So much uncertainty.....

ANyway that's my explanation of why only some of the food is drugged (although as I said it'd be mostly symbolic reasons).
Go to Top of Page
? Previous Topic?Topic?Next Topic ?
?New Topic ?Reply to Topic
?Printer Friendly
Myriador Forums ? 2002 Myriador Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000