Password:
Save Password
?All Forums
?Fighting Fantasy Adventures
?Forest of Doom
?Yaztromo the Sorceror?!
?New Topic ?Reply to Topic
?Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic?Topic?Next Topic ?

Balgin

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted?-?23 Nov 2004?:? 06:12:43 ?Show Profile ?Reply with Quote
Never! Never I say!

There are two very simple reasons for this:

1: The Wizards of Yore (Yaztromo, Nikodemus and the other one) all studied their magic and know it inside out. They have spent many years collecting knowledge and perfecting their art. Sorcerors (as a class, not a descriptive term, and I accept that the term is used descriptively in the text) are one trick ponies. Whilst they have flexible intuitive spellcasting their repetoire is virtualy nonexistant.

There is nothing particularly better about either class. The Wizard plans strategicaly and the sorceror improvises tacticaly. Both are equaly effective depending on whatever suits the player behind the character so some players will prefer "wild casting one trick ponies" whilst others will prefer "methodical, meticulously planning resource managers". Now from what I've seen of the Myriador stuff so far I haven't seen a single wizard npc. They've all been sorcerors. Now sorcerors can make great npc's (no need to worry about if they've got useful spells prepared today or not) as can wizards (knowing their limits means they can't suddenly have a more helpful spell prepared so the npc is foiled but with intelligent and creative use of his prepared spells he could still do well).

I repeat again that from a simple point of perspective it makes sense for the three Wizards of Yore to be wizards.

Point 2: Wizards spend a very long time studying. Adventurers don't spend time studying, they spend time adventuring. It therefore makes sense that, whilst they may pick up the odd spell here and there, they shall never achieve the same degree of mastery that a true wizard should have. In fact those few wizards that exist do not take pupils likely so an apprentice is a rare thing.

This makes wizards all the more special because they do their own stuff and seem to operate a "treaty of non interferance" whereby they can only assist people indirectly. And why should a wizard go out to battle when he has import studies to be getting on with? Let the wild casters go and do that and leave him to his experiments.

Thee is nothing restrictive about playing a wizard, it's just structured differently. If it makes sense for most casters in Titan to be wild casters then that fits in with the idea of them not studying to learn to use magic properly. It also makes those that do know all the spells a lot more powerful (because they won't share to some stranger).

I realise that this probably should've gone in another forum but I placed it here because of a sentence in FOD that describes Yaztromo as being "such a powerful sorceror that his stats do not need to be included here". Now before 3rd Ed we used to use sorceror and sorceress as a descriptive term rather than a class title so I can understand and appreciate it's use but since Myriador seems to favour sorcerors I thought the point was well worth raising here. The Three master wizards have studied long and hard for their power and deserve it .

Balgin

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted?-?23 Nov 2004?:? 18:39:34 ?Show Profile ?Reply with Quote
Perhaps the preference for Sorcerors comes from the way the Sorcery quartet or AFF (Advanced Fighting Fantasy) had a stamina cost to cast spellcasting system.

Or maybe it's because sorcerors will appeal more to younger players whilst wizards tend to appeal more to older players and the FF reprints seem to be aimed at a younger audience. Okay, so the original FF books were aimed at young children as well as older gamers and so to us the FF reprints will look like they're aimed at a younger audience but we were younger "back then" too :p.
Go to Top of Page

Eternalknight

Australia
117 Posts

Posted?-?24 Nov 2004?:? 09:16:46 ?Show Profile ?Visit Eternalknight's Homepage ?Send Eternalknight an AOL message ?Send Eternalknight an ICQ Message ?Click to see Eternalknight's MSN Messenger address ?Send Eternalknight a Yahoo! Message ?Reply with Quote
There is a reason for this. Have you ever noticed that there are, in fact, no wizards in any of the adventures? All magic users are sorcerers (including Zagor).

If you look carefully, you will also notice that only four classes are used throughout the adventures: Fighter, Rogue, Cleric and Sorcerer.

My homepage: http://members.dodo.com.au/eternalknight
Go to Top of Page

Balgin

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted?-?24 Nov 2004?:? 14:30:55 ?Show Profile ?Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eternalknight

There is a reason for this. Have you ever noticed that there are, in fact, no wizards in any of the adventures? All magic users are sorcerers (including Zagor).

If you look carefully, you will also notice that only four classes are used throughout the adventures: Fighter, Rogue, Cleric and Sorcerer.

My homepage: http://members.dodo.com.au/eternalknight

I noticed this: see my second post. However it still does make a lot more sense for the great wizards to be wizards who play with a full deck than one trick ponies or magic missile machines .
Go to Top of Page
? Previous Topic?Topic?Next Topic ?
?New Topic ?Reply to Topic
?Printer Friendly
Myriador Forums ? 2002 Myriador Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000